I have worked as a call-quality coach at two contact-centers. So, in order to sustain good call-quality standards, we overhauled the quality sheet ; and brainstormed and designed contests, tests, scripts etc. Additionally, to tighten the loose cannons, we gave instant feedbacks for quality dips – instant reaction for a misconduct.
One of the zealots approached me and asked,
“Why don’t I get detailed assessments? I just hear ‘good job done’.”
“That’s because you are too good!”
“Thanks, but I still need to specifically know that what’s really working; that way I can make better presentations.”
Hmm, right, what’s working is what one needs to know.
Accordingly we did and involuntarily observed the difference it made. The reasons:
- It added to his confidence and mood-swings got abated
- He could focus or unfocus as required
- His accuracy multi-folded
- The relationships enhanced
Do click here to read about Appreciative Inquiry.
And if you are generally on a calendar but not on time then re-read the above!
“That’s great, tell him he’s Pele and get him back on.”
John Lambie responds when told a concussed striker did not know who he was after getting hit.
When I saw Mr. Basu for the first time in my Literature class, my instant reaction was, “who appointed him as a teacher?” You see, it’s about the way he sheepishly found his way to his desk; tired and uninterested in the charms of the youth there. I was confirmed that the next one hour is going to be pallid. So, I started doing my favorite thing; writing my name in different fonts and sizes. I paid only an impulsive attention to him. Yes, he did make sense but I guess I was really put-off by his slouched and underprivileged presentation by now. I remember it was the 3rd or the 4th class that I realized that he, in fact, is enlightening!
In my second job as a teacher, I went through a train-the-teacher program. The concepts that instantly made me nostalgic:
- Enter the class like a lion would. Believe that you own the territory. They made everybody practice this over and over!
- Have an expression of chic confidence. Captivate them with your elegance.
- Greet them the way you are welcomed at a five star hotel.
- If meeting for the first time, design an engaging platform for introductions.
- Introduce the objective(s) of the session so plainly that the results are easily envisioned.
Mr. Basu is still one of my most favorite teachers.